Highcliffe, a seat and a village in Hants, on the coast, S miles E of Christchurch, and 1 mile from Hinton Admiral station on the L. & S.W.R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Christchurch. Popniation of the ecclesiastical parish, 896. The seat is Highcliffe Castle; it succeeded a mansion of Lord Bute, the favourite of George-Ill., which was removed because of encroachment of the sea, and it was itself built by the late Lord Stuart de Eothesay, and is also threatened by sea-encroachment. It is now the seat of the Wortley family. It has fantastic turrets, and may be called, as to appearance, a compound of castle, abbey, and church. Hoburne, Holmhurst, Sandhills, and Bure Homage are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £170 with residence. There is a coastguard station near.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Highcliffe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.