Headless Cross, Hampshire
Headless Cross, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Ipsley parish, Warwickshire and Feckenham parish, Worcestershire, and partly also in Tardebigge parish, Worcestershire. The village stands on the boundary between Warwick and Worcester, 1 mile S of Redditch, and 6 miles SE of Broms-grove, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bedditch. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1850. Population, 3493. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester: gross value, £280. with residence. Patrons, the Sector of Ipsley, the Vicar of Tardebigge, and the Vicar of Feckenham, in rotation. The church was erected in 1868. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Headley, a village and a parish, in Hants. The village stands near the boundary with Surrey, about 4 miles N of Liphook station on the L. & S.W.B., and 8 S by W of Farnham, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Liphook. The parish is noted for the salubrity of its air and the purity of its waters. Acreage, 6923; population, 1783. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Winchester. Nearly one-half of the land at one time was waste, but much of this in 1865 and previous years was reclaimed. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £610 with residence. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church is chiefly Later English, was restored in 1858, and a new organ placed in it in 1885. There is an endowed school. There are Congregational and Baptist chapels. Headley Park is a chief residence. There is an iron church at Grayshott.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.