Warwick, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village lies on the river Eden, 1½ mile N of Wetheral station on the N.E.R., and 4½ miles E by N of Carlisle. It was known to the Saxons as Warringwick, belonged anciently to the family of Warwick, and passed after 1772 to the Parkers. Post town, Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Warwick Bridge. The parish includes also Aglionby. Acreage, 1858; population, 269. A fine stone bridge of three arches crosses the Eden here. The living is a rectory annexed to Wetheral. The church is Norman, was anciently known as Warthewick Chapel, belonged to the abbey of St Mary at York, and after the dissolution was given to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. It was entirely restored about 1870. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warwick St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Warwick (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.