Freemantle (Kingsclere), Hampshire
Freemantle, a quondam royal park on the N border of Hants, in the southern vicinity of Kingsclere. It had a seat of the Saxon kings and a hunting-lodge of the Platagenet kings, and it continued to be crown land till the time of Elizabeth, but it has long been subjected to the plough, and it retains no vestige of its former character.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Freemantle (Kingsclere) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)