Emery Down, Hampshire
Emery Down, a chapelry in Minstead parish, Hants, half mile from Lyndhurst. It was constituted in 1864. It has a post and money order office under Lyndhurst; telegraph office, Lyndhurst. Population, 454. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £130. The church, which is free and open, is small, in the Early English style. The parish consists of two hamlets, Emery Down and Annesley Bank, and is one of the most lovely in the New Forest. It is very healthy, and a favourite resort for artists and other visitors.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Emery Down are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.