Walton, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands on the river Irthing and on the Roman wall,. 4¼ miles N of Brampton Junction station on the N.E.R., and 3 from Brampton. The parish comprises Low Walton and High Walton, and has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Brampton. Acreage, 3811; population, 335. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £173 with residence. The church is in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, and tower with spire. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Walton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Walton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.