Denmead, the principal village of which is called Barn Green, is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1881 from the parishes of Hambledon and Catherington, with part of the forest of Bere, formerly extra-parochial, in Hants. It is 6 miles fromHavant and Cosham stations on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post and money order office under Cosham (R.S.O.); telegraph offices, Hambledon and Wateriooville. Population, 870. The church of All Saints is a flint building in the— Early English style, erected in 1880. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £300. Patron, the Lord Chancellor.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Denmead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.