Colden Common, Hampshire
Colden-Common, a chapelry in Owslebury and Twyford parishes, Hants, 2¼ miles from Shawford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 S by E of Winchester. Post town, Winchester; money order and telegraph office, Twyford. Population, 691. It was constituted in 1844. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £185 with residence. Patron, alternately the incumbent of Owslebury and the vicar of Twyford. There is a chapel for Bible Christians.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Colden Common are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.