Waberthwaite, a village and a parish in Cumberland, 1½ mile S by E of Ravenglass, and 1 mile from Eskmeals station on the Furness railway, with a post office under Bootle; money order and telegraph office, Bootle. Acreage, 1852; population of the civil parish, 237; of the ecclesiastical, 232. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £93 with residence. Patron, Lord Muncaster. The church is old, and consists of nave and bell gable.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Waberthwaite St. John|
|Poor Law union||Bootle|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Waberthwaite from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Waberthwaite (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Waberthwaite are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.