Upperby, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of St Cuthbert Without, Cumberland. The village lies on the river Petteril, and on the L. & N.W.R., 1½ mile SSE of Carlisle, and has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Carlisle. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1846, and comprises the townships of Upperby, Harraby, High and Low Blackwell, Brisco, and Carleton. Population, 2966. The lunatic asylum for Cumberland and Westmorland is at Carleton. The manufacture of waddings and cotton wool is carried on. The Duke of Devonshire and Sir R. G. Musgrave, Bart, are lords of the manor. Petteril Bank is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was built in 1840, and consists of chancel, nave, and western pinnacled tower. There is a Church of England mission room at Carleton, and a Wesleyan chapel at High Blackwell.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upperby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upperby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Upperby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cNewbiggin (Upperby)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.