Braishfield or Brashfield, Hampshire
Braishfield or Brashfield, a chapelry in the parishes of Mitchelmersh, Romsey, and Hursley, Hants, on the Anton river, 3½ miles N of Romsey station on the L. & S.W.R. It was constituted in 1855, and it has a post office under Romsey, which is the money order and telegraph office. Population, 518. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is a red brick building in the Gothic style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1855.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, built in 1855, is an edifice or red brick, with tiled roof in the Gothic style, and has a belfry at west end containing 3 bells: the east window is stained, in memory of the late Rev. James Davies: there are 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Braishfield or Brashfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brashfield)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.