Bourne St Mary, Hampshire
Bourne-St-Mary, a tithing and a parish in Hants. Tho tithing lies 1 mile from Hurstbourne station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3 miles NW of Whitchurch, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Andover. The parish includes also the tithings of Binley, Egbury, Stoke, Swampton, and Week. Acreage, 7746; population of the civil parish, 1032; of the ecclesiastical, including Hurstbourne-Priors, 1407. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Hurstbourne-Priors, in the diocese of Winchester; value, about £255. The church is dedicated to St Peter, and has one of the four grandest fonts in the diocese. There are Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and an almshouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bourne St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Whitchurch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bourne St Mary from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bourne (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.