Uldale, a village and a parish in Cumberland, on the river Ellen, under the Caldbeck Fells, 1½ SSE of Ireby, and 5 miles from Mealsgate station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, with a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Mealsgate. The parish also comprises the hamlets of Aughertree, Longlands, and Orthwaite. Acreage, 5814; population, 222. The manor belongs to Lord Leconfield. The living of St James and St John the Evangelist is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £141 with residence. St James' Church is a small ancient building, consisting of chancel, nave, porch, and a western bell-turret. St John's was erected in 1868, is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, and tower with spire. There is an endowed grammar school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Uldale from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.