The Vale, Guernsey
Vale, The, a parish in the N of Guernsey, 3 miles N of St Peter Port Post town, Guernsey. Acreage, 2088; population, 3947. A tract of about 300 acres, called Le Braye de Valle, was reclaimed from the sea in 1803. Vale Castle stands on the coast, was built in the 10th century, and is now a barrack. A Benedictine priory was founded near the site of the church in 962, and is now represented by a farmhouse called L'Abbaye. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £125 with residence. Patron, the Governor. The church was built in 1117.