Catel or St Mary de Castro, Guernsey
Catel or St Mary de Castro, a parish in Guernsey, 1½ mile WNW of St Peter-Port. It contains the village of King's Mills, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Guernsey. Acreage, 2659; population, 2422. The acreage and the population include the district of St Matthews Cobo. The castle of a sea-king, named Le Grand Jeffroi, stood here on an eminence, commanding an extensive view of the sea, and was destroyed in 1061 by William, Duke of Normandy. A church, dedicated to the Virgin, was built on the castle's site out of its materials, and hence the name St Mary de Castro. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £134 with residence. Patron, the Governor. The church appears still to retain portions of the original one of the castle, has a Norman transept and a spire, and has been repaired. Cattle fairs are held at Easter, Midsummer, and Michaelmas.