Torpenhow, a village, a township, and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands 2½ miles W by N of Ireby, and 2½ from Mealsgate station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, and has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Mealsgate. The township includes Whitrigg hamlet, and bears the name of Torpenhow and Whitrigg. Acreage, 2742; population of the township, 290; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1253. The parish contains three other townships. The manor belongs to the Charlton family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £253. Patron, the Bishop. The church was restored in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Torpenhow St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Torpenhow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Torpenhow (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Torpenhow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBewaldeth and Snittlegarth
Blennerhasset and Kirkland
Bothel and Threapland
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.