Whelford, a hamlet, in Kempsford parish, Gloucestershire, on the river Coin, 2 miles SE of Fairford. A chapel of ease, in the Early English style, was built in 1864.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of the mother church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kempsford, dates from the year 1578.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Anne's chapel of ease, at Whelford, 1½ miles north of Kempsford, was erected in 1864 from designs by the late J. E. Street esq. R.A. and consists of apsidal chancel, nave and an eastern bell cot containing one bell: there are sittings for 120 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whelford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whelford)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Whelford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.