Thursby, a village and a parish in Cumberland, divided nto four townsliips. The village lies 1 mile N of Curthwaite station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, 5 miles ENE of Wigton, and 6 W of Carlisle. It is said to have got its name from a temple of Thor, and has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Dalston. Acreage of parish, 3119 of land and 23 of water; population, 548. There is a parish council of nine members. The Earl of Lons-dale is lord of the manor. The parish includes Crofton, Parton, and Micklethwaite. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £260 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, rebuilt in 1846, in the Early English style (on the site of a former Norman structure), consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower, with a peal of six bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thursby St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thursby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thursby (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Thursby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cCrofton
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.