Tresham, a chapelry in Hawkesbury parish, Gloucestershire, 6 miles E by N of Charfield station on the M. R. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Hawkesbury. The church was rebuilt in 1855, and renovated in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chipping-Sodbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The church records are contained within the register for Hawkesbury, which dates from the year 1603
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
The chapel of ease to Hawkesbury, at Tresham, rebuilt and consecrated in May, 1855, is a small edifice of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: a reredos was erected in 1908, and the chapel is seated with open benches affording 50 sittings: in the churchyard stand the base and shaft of an ancient cross.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tresham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tresham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tresham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.