Threlkeld, a township and an ancient ecclesiastical parish in Greystoke barony of Cumberland, on the Cockermouth, Keswick, and Penrith railway, under Saddleback Mountain, 4 miles ENE of Keswick. There is a post and money order office under Penrith, and a railway station with telegraph. Acreage of township, 5956; population, 496; of the ecclesiastical parish, 529. There is a parish council consisting flf eight members. Threlkeld Hall was the seat of Sir L. Threlkeld in the time of Henry VII., became the retreat of " the good Lord Clifford " in his persecuted boyhood, is now partly ruinous, partly a farmhouse, and is noticed by Wordsworth in his " Waggoner." The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £166 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church consists of chancel, nave, and western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Threlkeld from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Threlkeld)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Threlkeld are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cWescow
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.