St George, Gloucestershire
George, St, a parish in Gloucestershire, lying on the river Avon, 2 miles E of Bristol, and within the parliamentary borough of Bristol; contains the ecclesiastical districts of Easton, St Matthew Moorefields, and Two-Mile-Hill; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O., Gloucestershire). The parish is governed by a local board. There are several collieries, chemical works, lead smelting works, engine works, and a tar distillery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £600 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1880. The vicarages of Easton, St Matthew Moorefields, and Two-Mile-Hill are separate benefices. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, Baptist, and' Primitive Methodist chapels. The land is mostly laid out in market gardens.,
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Clifton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St George from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (George, St.)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of St George are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.