Side or Syde, Gloucestershire
Side or Syde, a parish in Gloucestershire, 7½ miles NW by N of Cirencester. Post town, Cheltenham; money order office, Cirencester; telegraph office, Birdlip. Acreage, 628; population, 29. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £88. The church is Norman and Early English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Side St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1686.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a saddle-backed western tower containing 3 bells: the chancel has been repaired: there are 40 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Side or Syde from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Side (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.