Shortwood (Horsley), Gloucestershire
Shortwood, a village in Horsley parish, Gloucestershire, 5 miles S by W of Stroud. A chapel of ease was built in 1866.
The registers of Horsley, St. Martin, date from 1587, which see.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
The church of All Saints, a chapel of ease to Horsley, is a small building of stone in the Gothic style, built in 1866, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a turret containing one bell: there are 300 sittings.
Baptist Chapel, Newmarket Road
The Baptist chapel, in Newmarket road, built in 1881 at a cost of £3,300, in place of a former chapel at Shortwood, is a rectangular structure of brick and stone in the Italian style, and will seat 900 persons: adjoining is a large schoolroom, with four class-rooms.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.