Selsley, an ecclesiastical parish in Kingstanley parish, Gloucestershire, 2 miles SSW of Stroud. It has a station at Dudbridge on the M.R., and a post office under Stroud; money order and telegraph office, Cainscross. It was constituted in 1863; population, 737. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £218 with residence. The church, built in 1862, is in the Early Decorated style. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The register dates from the year 1863.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
All Saints, 1862 (parish church)
The church of All Saints, built in 1862, is an edifice of stone, in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, and a fine gabled tower on the north-west, containing 2 bells hung in 1887: there are some good stained windows, and sittings for 240 persons.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, 1888
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Selsley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.