Pilning, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Almondsbury and Henbury parishes, Gloucestershire, 9½ miles N by W of Bristol, with a station on the G.W.R., and a post and money order office under Bristol; telegraph office, Tocking-ton. The eastern end of the Severn Tunnel of the G.W.R., opened in 1886, is here. The ecclesiastical parish includes the tithing of Redwick, and was constituted in 1881 Population, 829. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £302 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1855. There are Free Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The parish register dates from the year 1855.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, built in 1855, is an edifice of Hanham stone, with dressings of freestone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are sittings for 250 persons.
United Methodist Chapel
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pilning are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
Pilning was formed into an ecclesiastical parish, on Sept. 2, 1881, from the parishes of Almondsbury and Henbury, comprising an outlying portion of the former parish, together with the tithing of Redwick.
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.