Paulton, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 1 mile from Hallatrow station on the G.W.R., and 10 miles SW of Bath. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bristol. Acreage of the civil parish, 1055; population, 2301; of the ecclesiastical, 2313. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. There are an iron foundry, a colliery, and several quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £180 with residence. Patrons, the Vicar of Chewton Mendip and the Bishop of Bath and Wells alternately. The church is Early English, in good condition, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower and five bells. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a cottage hospital. Paulton House is the chief residence, and dates from the time of James I; Pauntley, a parish in Gloucestershire, consisting entirely of scattered dwellings, on the river Leadon, at the boundary with Worcestershire, 2 miles NE by N of Newent, and 6 SSE of Ledbury. Post town, Newent, under Gloucester. Acreage, 1630; population of the civil parish, 155; of the ecclesiastical, 183. The manor formerly belonged to the Whittington family, one of whom was Sir Richard Whittington, lord mayor of London. The Pauncefotes family were afterwards in possession. There are some remains of the old manor house. The White House is the chief residence. Pauntley Court is a farmhouse, but was at one time the chief residence. There are saline springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £70 Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, dedicated to St John the Evangelist, is Norman, and consists of chancel with chapel, nave, S aisle, N porch, and a tower. The arch separating the chancel from the body of the church is a very fine example of Early Norman work, as is also the arch of the S doorway. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Pool Hill is a hamlet about 1½ mile W of the church and about the centre of the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Paulton Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Paulton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Paulton (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Paulton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.