UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Parkend, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Parkend, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in West Dean township. Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. The hamlet lies 4 miles SE of Coleford, and has a station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge railway, and a post and money order office under Lydney; telegraph office, at the railway station. The ecclesiastical parish of St Paul, Parkend, was constituted in 1842. Population, 2194. It includes Whitecroft and Futterill. Whitemead Park is the chief residence. There are collieries, quarries, sawmills, and firebrick works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1822, is an octagonal stone structure, and has a tower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels and a cemetery.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Cemeteries

A new Church Cemetery, 1 acre in extent, was consecrated in May, 1862.


Church Records

The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1822; marriages, 1836.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Churches

Church of England

Mission Church, Yorkley Wood

The mission church, at Yorkley Wood, will seat 120 persons.

St. Paul (parish church)

The church of St. Paul, consecrated in 1822, is an octagonal building of stone, in mixed styles, with a pinnacled western tower containing a clock and one bell; it was reseated in 1897 at a cost of about £300, and now affords 450 sittings.

Baptist

Baptist Chapel, Yorkley Wood

The Baptist chapel, at Yorkley Wood, erected in 1860, had 120 sittings.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Parkend are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictForest of Dean
CountyGloucestershire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtGL15

Advertisement

Advertisement