Oakridge, a village and an ecclesiastical parish forming part of the civil parish of Bisley-cum-Lypiatt, Gloucestershire. The village stands under the Cotswolds, near the Thames and Severn Canal, 2 miles NE of Brimscombe station on the G.W.R., and 4½ E by S of Stroud. It has a post office, called Oakridge Lynch, under Stroud; money order and telegraph office, Chalford. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1849. Population, 818. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £144 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a modern edifice in the Early English style, and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The register dates from the year 1849.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
The church of St. Bartholomew is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and one bell: there is a memorial window to the Rev. Charles Raymond Barker M.A. Oxon, first vicar of this parish, and two others to the late Mrs. and Miss Birtwhistle respectively: the church affords about 200 sittings.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.