Talkin, a village and a chapelry in Hayton parish, Cumberland, on the Newcastle and Carlisle section of the N.E.R., 2½ miles from Brampton Junction station. Post town and money order office, Brampton Junction (R.S.); telegraph office, Brampton. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Hayton, in the diocese of Carlisle. The church is in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western tower, and serves as a chapel of ease to the parish church. There are a Wesleyan chapel erected in 1870, reading and news rooms, and a freestone quarry. For parish council purposes Talkin forms one of the wards of Hayton parish, and sends three members to the parish council.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Talkin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Talkin)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Talkin are available from a number of sites: