UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Lydbrook, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Lydbrook, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the parishes of English Bicknor and Buardean and the townships of East and West Dean, Gloucestershire, in the Forest of Dean, on the river Wye, 4 miles NNE of Coleford, and 8 ENE of Monmonth. There are two stations, Upper and Lower Lydbrook, on the Severn and Wye, and Severn Bridge railway, and another, Lydbrook Junction, at the junction of that railway with the G.W.R. to Monmouth; and also a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ross. There are coal, iron, tin, and chemical works. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1852. Population, 2637. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £26with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is good, and there are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Civil parishEnglish Bicknor 
HundredSt. Briavells 
Poor Law unionMonmouth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1852.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Church of England

The Holy Jesus

The church of the Holy Jesus, erected in 1851, is a building of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: a vestry was added in 1912: the stained east window was erected in October, 1908, by Richard Thomas esq. as a memorial to his family, and that in the south aisle is in memory of the Rev. H. T. Hoitt M.A. vicar 1866-1908: there are sittings for 460 persons.


Baptist Chapel


Congregational Chapel


Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1828, and rebuilt in 1852 and 1912, with Sunday schools attached.

Wesleyan Chapel

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lydbrook from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.