Kingswood or Kingswood Hill, Gloucestershire
Kingswood or Kingswood Hill, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Bitton and Mangotsfield parishes, Gloucestershire. The village stands 3¼ miles NE by E of Bristol, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), of the name of Kingswood Hill. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1821. The land was anciently a royal chase or forest. Most of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and shoemaking, and some in market gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £313 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a square structure in the Early English style, with a tower 90 feet high, and has a handsome interior and a stone pulpit. There are Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Moravian chapels, and a reformatory.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Langley and Swinehead|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Kingswood 1598-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1598.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a western tower, with pinnacles, 90 feet in height, containing a clock and 2 bells: a new chancel and organ chamber were added, the church re-floored, reseated and relighted at a total cost of £2,300, and the church re-opened April 2nd, 1900, by the Bishop of Bristol: there are 640 sittings.
Mission Church of the Ascension, Hollycrest Road
The mission church of the Ascension, in Hollycrest road, erected in 1913 at a cost of £1,200, is a building of local stone.
Congregational Chapel, Kingswood Hill
Primitive Methodist Chapel
United Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingswood or Kingswood Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kingswood)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.