Kingroad, a roadstead at the mutual boundary of Somerset and Gloucestershire, in the Bristol Channel, off the month of the river Avon. It is between 2 and 3 miles long, is well sheltered except from the NE, has good holding ground under a depth of from 5 to 8 fathoms in common spring tides, and is overlooked by a lighthouse with a fixed white light 73 feet high. Two entrances lead into it, and the southernmost of these, called the Swash, is about a mile shorter than the other, but can be traversed by large ships at only certain states of the tide. The view all round the roadstead is very fine.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.