Stapleton, a township and a parish in Cumberland. The township lies on the river Line, 6 miles SE of Penton railway station, and 9 ENE of Longtown. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Brampton, under Carlisle. Acreage of township, 4744; population, 378; of the ecclesiastical parish, 777. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The parish contains also Solport, Trough, and Belbank. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle and the baronet family of Graham. Coal is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £158 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1830, is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, and western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stapleton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Longtown|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stapleton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Stapleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cRoweltown
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.