Gretton, a chapelry in Winchcombe parish, Gloucestershire, 2 miles NW of Winchcombe, and 4½ SSE of Beckford station on the Ashchurch and Evesham branch of the M.R. Post town, Winchcombe (R.S.O.) The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Winchcombe, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1868. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Winchcomb|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1868.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
Christ Church, erected in 1868, from designs by Mr. John Drayton Wyatt, of London, architect, in place of the old church, then disused, is a building of forest stone, with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, south porch and a tower with spire on the south side containing one bell, bearing in Lombardic capitals an invocation to the Virgin: there are 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gretton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gretton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gretton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.