France Lynch, Gloucestershire
France Lynch, a parish in Gloucestershire (constituted in 1894), near the Severn and Thames Canal, 3 miles NE of Minchinhampton. Post town, Stroud. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; ]'oint net value, £126 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Bisley. The church was built in 1857.
The register dates from the year 1858.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
The church of St. John the Baptist, built in 1857 at a cost of £2,700, is an edifice in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch, vestry, organ chamber and a bell-cot over the chancel arch containing one bell: the capitals of the columns in the nave and the corbels of the arches in the chancel are beautifully sculptured; the font is of polished Devonshire marble: there are 258 sittings. In 1894 Sir John E. Dorington gave a donation of £1,000 for the endowment of this church.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of France Lynch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.