Edge, a tithing and a village in Painswick parish, Gloucestershire, 3 miles N of Stroud. Post town, Stroud. An ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1873 under this name from the parishes of Painswick and Haresfield. Population, 322. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, in the gift of the Bishop. The church was erected in 1866. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stroud|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1865.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist
The church of St. John the Baptist, built in 1866, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: the stained east window and one other in the chancel are memorials to the Wilton family, and were placed in 1866; the stained west window was erected in 1878: in 1899 the church was thoroughly renovated and heating apparatus provided: in 1905 a small stained window was placed in the chancel as a memorial to the Rev. T. P. Little M.A. vicar here 1883-1904, and his wife: there are 170 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Edge)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Edge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.