Downend (Mangotsfield), Gloucestershire
Downend, an ecclesiastical parish in Mangotsfield parish, Gloucestershire, 1 mile from Mangotsfield station on the M.R., and 4 miles NE of Bristol. It has a post office under Fishponds (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Staple Hill. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1874, and includes Staplehill and Upper Soundwell. Population, 5219. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, o£326. The church was erected in 1831. There are Wesleyan, Primitive, and Free Methodist chapels.
The parish register dates from the year 1831.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
Christ Church (parish church)
Christ Church, erected in the year 1831, and formerly a chapel of ease to St. James', Mangotsfield, is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, west porch and an eastern turret containing 1 bell: there are 1,100 sittings.
Independent Methodist Chapel
Primitive Methodist Chapel
United Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.