Cambridge, a hamlet in Slimbridge parish, Gloucestershire, on the river Cam, 4 miles NNW of Dursley. It has a post office under Stonehouse; telegraph office, Eastington. It was known to the Saxons as Cwatbriege, and was the scene of a battle in the time of Edward the Elder, between the Saxons and the Danes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dursley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
The Congregational and Baptist Union chapel at Cambridge, was built in 1807.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cambridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cambridge)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cambridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.