Brockwear or Brockweir or Brooks Weir, Gloucestershire
Brockwear or Brockweir or Brooks-Weir, a village on extra-parochial ground contiguous to Hewelsfield parish, in Gloucestershire, on the river Wye, ½ a mile from Tintern station on the G.W.R., and 6 miles N of Chepstow. It has a post office under Coleford; money order and telegraph office, Tintern. It used to have some shipping trade. There are a Moravian chapel, built in 1832, and remains of an ancient camp.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brockwear or Brockweir or Brooks Weir from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brockwear Common)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.