Broad Campden, Gloucestershire
Broad-Campden, a hamlet in Chipping Campden parish, Gloucestershire, 1 mile SE of Chipping Campden.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Chipping Campden|
|Poor Law union||Shipston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Michael and All Angels
The church of St. Michael and All Angels, at Broad Campden, a chapel of ease to the parish church of St. James, Chipping Campden, was erected in 1868 to the memory of Charles Noel, first Earl of Gainsborough, who died June 10, 1866: it is a building of stone, and has about 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broad Campden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Campden, Broad)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Broad Campden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.