Podington or Puddington, a village and a parish in Bedfordshire. The village stands 1½ mile E of the boundary with Northamptonshire, 3 miles SSE of Irchester station on the main line of the M.R., and 4½ S by W of Wellingborough.. It has a post and money order office under Wellingborough; telegraph office, Wollaston. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hinwick, and comprises 3516 acres; population of the civil parish, 504; of the ecclesiastical, 424. There is a parish council of seven members for the villages of Podington and Farndish and the hamlet of Hinwick. The manor belongs to the Orlebar family. Hinwick Hall is an ancient mansion-dating in part from the Tudor period- standing amidst pleasant grounds. Hinwick House is a fine-mansion of stone which was erected in the early part of the 18th century. It is now used as a preparatory school for Eton, Harrow, &c. It has beautiful grounds, and it contains some valuable paintings and a good library. The old manor house is now used as a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £55 with residence. The church is of successive dates, from Norman to Decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and crocketed Perpendicular broach spire; and contains an ancient Norman font and a brass of 1518. The industries include the manufacture of pillow lace.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Poddington St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1662.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Podington: Baptisms 1662-1910, Marriages 1662-1998, Burials 1662-1893, Banns 1824-1942. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
The Virgin Mary (parish church)
The church of the Virgin Mary is a handsome edifice of stone, in the Transitional, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower of Early English date, with crocketed Perpendicular spire, containing a clock and 4 bells: the chancel retains an Early English piscina, and in the north wall are four sepulchred arches, two semi-circular and the others pointed, but now blocked with memorials to the families of Payne and Child: the carving of the porch door, Early Perpendicular, is unusually rich: in the church is a monument to General Livesay, 1717, a descendant of Sir Michael Livesay, the regicide, and there are many memorials to the Orlebar fanlily from 1658; of the Childs from 1647, and the family of Payne from 1624: in the nave is a brass effigy with inscription to John Howard, 1518, and in the church and churchyard are inscribed stones to the Rev. William Bamford, vicar, 1734, and the Rev. Oliver St. John Cooper M.A. vicar, 1801; the porch has been rebuilt and the south aisle re-roofed at a cost of about £220: in 1883 the church was again restored, at a cost of £330: the font is Norman, and its exterior surface exhibits three designs representing the Trinity: the church plate includes a chalice, presented by Elizabeth Livesay in 1707; and there is a black letter Bible, dated 1613: the church affords 220 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Podington was in Wellingborough Registration District from 1837 to 1935 and Bedford Registration District from 1935 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Podington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Poddington, or Puddington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Podington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.