Bishopston, an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1862 out of the parishes of Stapleton, Horfield, and St Andrew Mont-pelier, Gloucestershire, in the parliamentary borough of Bristol, 2 miles N of Bristol, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) Population, 5683. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is a plain building.
The parish registers for the Diocese of Bristol are available online at Ancestry, in association with Bristol Archives.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bishopston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.