Skelton, a township and a parish in Cumberland. The township lies 3 miles from Plumpton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6¼ NW of Penrith, and has a post and money order office under Penrith; telegraph office, Greystoke. Acreage, 7415; population, 735. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. The parish comprises the villages of Lamonby, Ellonby, Unthank, and Laithes. The manor belongs to the Vane family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £340 with residence. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1879, and consists of chancel, nave, and Western tower. There is an endowed school with £30 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skelton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skelton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skelton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Skelton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cLamonby
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.