Sebergham, a parish, with a village, in Cumberland, on the river Caldew, 2 miles NNE of Hesket Newmarket, and 6 from Dalston railway station. It has a post office under Dalston (R.S.O.); money order office, Dalston; telegraph office, Dalston. Acreage, 5532 of land and 25 of water; population, 520. There is a parish council of seven members. The parish also contains the hamlets of Church Town (part), Sebergham Bridge (part), Warnel and Newlands, and the village of Welton. The manor was given by King John to the hermit Wastell, by whom it was transferred to Carlisle Priory, and now belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The Earl of Lonsdale is the chief landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £242 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is an old 13th century building, with a modern tower, and was restored in 1880, when the chancel was almost entirely rebuilt and a new east window erected. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a chapel of ease at Welton, erected in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sebergham Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sebergham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sebergham (Virgin Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Sebergham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cWarnall
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.