Scales, a village under Saddleback Mountain, in Cumberland, 5½ miles NE by E of Keswick Scales Tarn lies about a mile to the NNW, and is overhung all round, except on part of the N, by dark, lofty, precipitous crags.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Scales are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.