Sandwith, a village and a township in St Bees parish, Cumberland. The village stands on the coast, 2½ miles S by W of Whitehaven, and 2½ from St Bees station on the Furness railway, and has a post office under Whitehaven; money order and telegraph office, Whitehaven. The township comprises 1365 acres of land and 60 of foreshore; population, 339. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor. St Bees Head, on which stands a lighthouse over 300 feet above the sea level, is in this township. Divine service is conducted in the schoolroom.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitehaven|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sandwith from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sandwith)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Sandwith are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)