Rottington, a township in St Bees parish, Cumberland, on the coast, 1 mile NW of St Bees station on the Furness railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, St Bees. Acreage, 698, of which 56 are water and foreshore; population, 64. A cell to St Bees Abbey was here.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitehaven|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rottington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rottington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Rottington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)