Ysceifiog, a parish in Flintshire, 1½ mile NW of Nannerch station on the Chester and Denbigh section of the L. & N.W.R., and 4 miles S of Holywell. It has a post office under Holywell; money order and telegraph office, Caerwys. It includes the hamlets of Lixwm and Walwen, and comprises 6077 acres; population of the civil parish, 1165; of the ecclesiastical, 930. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £355 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is ancient, and has been restored. The parish includes sections of Brynford, Gorsedd, and Rhesycae ecclesiastical parishes. There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Holywell||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Ysceifiog from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Holywell Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ysceifiog are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: