Whitford, a parish in Flintshire, 2 miles SW of Mostyn station on the Chester and Holyhead section of the L. & N.W.R., and 3 NW of Holywell. It extends to the estuary of the Dee, contains eight townships, and has a post office under Holywell; money order and telegraph office, Mostyn. It comprises 8175 acres of land and 72 of water, with 1612 of adjacent tidal water and 3029 of foreshore; population of the civil parish, 3158; of the ecclesiastical, 880. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. The parish includes the ecclesiastical parish of Mostyn and part of that of Gorsedd. Llyn Helyg, the largest piece of water in Flintshire, is in the parish. Mostyn Hall is the seat of Lord Mostyn, and Downing is a seat of the Earl of Denbigh. Downing was the birthplace and residence of Thomas Pennant the historian, and came into the possession of the late Earl of Denbigh by his marriage with the heiress and last of the Pennants. Coal is worked, and limestone, freestone, chert, and ores of lead and zinc are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph, endowed with £300 a year and residence by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is good. The vicarages of Mostyn and Gorsedd are separate benefices. There are Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Holywell||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Whitford from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Holywell Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: