Penley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Ellesmere parish, Flintshire, adjacent to Salop, 4 miles N by E of Ellesmere. There is a post office under Ellesmere; money order and telegraph offices, Hanmer and Overton. Acreage, 2124; population, 321. Penley Hall is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £143. Patron, the Vicar of Ellesmere. The church is modern, occupying the site of one built about the beginning of the 16th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Ellesmere||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Overton||1935 - 1953|
|Registration district||Maelor||1954 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: